Globetrotting through my blogs

Friday, September 29, 2006

Speed Limits in India

It is a well known fact that the Speed limits for traffic in India is a hypothetical concept which only exists in principle. Everyone knows that and so did I. But sometimes if I chance upon a speed limit sign board somewhere, I am reminded of this hypothesis!

A few days back, on my way home from office, I got stuck in a heavy traffic jam. Naturally the traffic was moving at speeds lesser than that which a person walks at. With my radio plugged into my ears, I kept watching the vehicles and people around me. I was pitying the guy who had bought a brand new Audi A4 luxury car and was stuck in the same traffic jam as I was with my pulsar! At that snails pace, I happened to notice this small sign board on the left, which specified the various speed limits for the different categories of vehicles. Believe me, there were about 5-6 categories mentioned with their respective speed limits. And the size of the sign board had limited the size and hence the visibility of these figures. I was amused by the thought that, eventhough I was in a jam moving at < 10km/hr speed I was not able to read the speed limit values, how did the authorities expect people zooming off next to it to read those values and adhere to them!

Sadly the rules in India have got a new definition, of being breakable and bendable inherently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home